Sunday, January 22, 2012

The right mix of content & illustrations


Writing for kids is not a child’s play. It requires the 3Ps – people, place and plot, tells Subhadra Sen Gupta, a well-known children books author. And we cannot deny the fact that a kid’s book is incomplete without illustrations. As Tapas Guha puts it, “Everything is so visual…just words make the books look scary for children.’ These two professionals have worked together as well as individually to create outstanding books for children. In conversation with Varsha Verma, they reveal what it takes to make a children book.Subhadra Sen Gupta is a well-known children books author, with over twenty-five books for children and adults, with Puffin, Rupa, Scholastic, HarperCollins, Pratham, India Book House and Ratna Sagar. Three of her books—A Clown for Tenali Rama, Jodha Bai and Twelve O’Clock Ghost Stories (Scholastic)—have won the White Raven Award at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair.

While, Tapas Guha is a self taught artist. He is a commerce postgraduate from Delhi University, who loves to draw…he followed his passion and is now a well-known illustrator for children books. He has worked with almost all the leading publishers of books, newspapers, magazines and a few ad agencies.

The duo have worked together to bring out many interesting books. They also work individually as well.

Journey so far…

Writing as a hobby and writing as a professional is very different – you have to make both ends meet and still have sufficient time to write what you like. “I just wanted to write, 'professionally' was just a dream. Had to make a living as an advertising copywriter for nearly two decades before I could become a full time writer and even today it is not easy,” tells Subhadra.

While, the journey for Tapas has been a mixed one, but mostly good. “After finishing my post graduation in commerce, I realized that I didn't want to continue with a career in commerce or accountancy. I also realized I can actually draw a lot better than lot of professional artists and since then chartered my career in art. I got a lot of support from the editors, publishers and most importantly the readers,” he told.

And, being a children author was no child’s play. “It was very difficult in the early years as publishers did not think there was a market for children's books. It is only in the last 7-8 years that children's writers are being taken seriously,” tells Subhadra.

Creating for children…

“When I write for children, I keep 3P's in mind - people, place, plot. Real and interesting characters, well drawn ambience and of course a plot that gets them reading. After that you can weave in important themes like tolerance or equality and they will think about it,” she tells.

“The hardest part about writing a book is coming up with an unusual idea and of course with kids the plot is paramount. You have to keep their minds engaged. Then creating real Indian kids who talk like they do. I have a series called Foxy Four for Young Zubaan about teenagers that requires a lot of listening and talking to kids,” shares Subhadra.

Here, tapas differs, “A lot of people can draw but to translate someone else's (writer's) idea with one's own creative input which is acceptable to everyone is difficult. And while drawing for children, I frankly don't keep any factor in mind. I draw whatever I think is right, may be because I never grew up (mentally)… it's easier for me to think like the kids.”

What comes first – the story or the illustrations?

“Most of the time - the story, except in comic strips where Tapas often has a better idea than me!, tells Subhadra.

Advice to aspiring writers/illustrators…

“Start early, in school if possible. Work on your language and write the way you speak and not use big words. Work on the plotting and that takes time. Read a lot and study the books you like. Writing brings pleasures you will get addicted to and believe me, this addiction is good,” advises Subhadra.

And Tapas adds, “There are no shortcuts for hard work! Talent is 50 percent, rest is your attitude!! Wrong attitude will get you nowhere inspite of your talent.”

On reading…

Reading is a wonderful habit and to inculcate reading habit in children, Subhadra advises “What you need is a big bookcase in the house and parents who take their kids to libraries and bookshops. After that reading comes naturally. Start by regular bed time reading - great stress buster for busy parents.”

“I don't blame the kids if they hate books, any kind of books! It's the result of overburdening them with text books...now books scare them! I think books with lots of attractive colour illustrations and good packaging will help. These days everything is so visual…just 'words' makes books scary!” adds Tapas.

Both Tapas and Subhadra are avid readers. Subhadra is currently reading a historical novel Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran about Selene. “My biggest influences are Bengali writers because I try to write about my land and my people and Bengali has a rich tradition of children's literature,” she adds.

“My all time favorite have been Ruskin Bond and Satyajit Ray. In comics, I think Herge's Tintin is way above the rest…I love the simplicity of story telling in all the above three. Right now, I am enjoying Roald Dahl's Someone like you... which is a bunch of weird stories,” quips Tapas.

On likes and dislikes…

“Take it easy....follow your heart. If you absolutely enjoy doing something, go for it. You can excel only in things which you enjoy doing the most. Money isn't the last word though it is important. I love listening to soft rock music, read funny books and watch funny movies...they keep me in positive frame of mind,” tells Tapas.

While, Subhadra walks a lot, is a serious listener and encourages people to talk to her, including auto drivers and vegetable sellers. But, her greatest unwinder is sitting in the sun reading a fat book with a bag of peanuts.

On upcoming books…

“I am working on an original comic along with dear friend Subhadra Sen Gupta. ..will let you know whenever it's finally done,” adds Tapas cheerfully.

Meanwhile, Subhadra is also working on a few books. “I am starting the next Foxy Four, while Puffin's Secret Diary of the World's Worst Cook is just out. Besides, there is a coffee table book on Fatehpur Sikri for Niyogi,” concludes Subhadra.

No comments:

Post a Comment